Holborn Viaduct is the name of a street which crosses a road bridge in London. It links Holborn via Holborn Circus with Newgate street in the city of London. Holborn viaduct was built in 1863 and reached completion in 1869.
The cost to build it was over £2 million with it being the first flyover to be built in Central London. William Haywood was the architect, Rowland Mason Ordish the engineer and it was opened by Queen Victoria at the same time Blackfriars bridge.
There are four statues on the parapets each representing something different including Commerce, Agriculture, Science and Fine Art. Staircases provide access from Holborn Viaduct to Farringdon street below. In close proximity is City Thameslink railway station.
Holborn Viaduct is near Chancery Lane, which is a street located in Farringdon in the City of London. It connects Fleet Street with High Holborn and is within close proximity of Chancery Lane tube station which is named after it. Historically and currently the street has been associated with legal professions however there are also consulting firms, businesses and the Maughan Library currently occupying the street.
Chancery Lane is named after the High court of Chancery and is now home to the principle building of the Law Society, the professional body for solicitors in England and Wales, The London Silver Vaults and The oldest tailors in London.
Farringdon is a historic area located in the City of London in close proximity of Chancery Lane station and St Paul’s station. It is one of London's key employment and financial areas. It is a major transport hub in the city with a large underground station and rail station.
Farringdon was named for Sir Nicholas Faringdon, who was appointed Lord Mayor of London for "as long as it shall please him" by King Edward II. Farringdon is also home to Fleet street market and a large variety of Gold shops.
Other locales of interest nearby are Fleet Street, the old home of England's newspaper industry and the famous Smithfield Meat Market.